Termites in AZ
Here are some things that buyers should look for:
- Cracks in foundation walls. It only takes a crack 1/64 of an inch wide to give termites and other wood destroying insects hidden access to a house.
- Leaking pipes and faucets. Termites as well as other insects, seek out moisture for survival. Leaking pipes can keep wood and soil continually damp and create a perfect home for termites.
- Wood debris around and under a house. Pieces of scrap lumber or firewood kept next to a structure can support a colony of termites.
- Sprinkler systems or bubblers placed near the outside wall of a structure. Excessive watering can attract termites to the structure.
- Flower planters. Planters allow hidden and direct access to unprotected siding and cracked stucco when built in direct contact with a house.
- Trellises and wooden fences. If a trellis or wood fence touches soil and is in contact with a structure, it provides a direct link between the subterranean termites in the soil and wood in the structure.
Termites are very common here in AZ and should not prevent you from purchasing a house. If you do not have termites at time of purchase you will one day. For those of you new to AZ, this may seem like a big deal but it is not. Make sure to have it treated once you find them and then keep the warranty effective